Thursday, February 07, 2008

1 Down, 2 to Go!

Hayden had his first of three dental visits yesterday. Thankfully, everything went really good. My friend, Amber, rode over to Pueblo with us, and she was really good about getting him all "excited" to go to the dentist, by saying little things throughout the day. I think it helped calm any fears that he might have had. Then, the hygienist was very nice, and talked to him, and showed him all of the tools again, and what they were called. They have cute little names for each one, like "Mr. Whister", "Mr. Wind", etc. They gave him nitrous, and he put the "clown nose" right on, but then he kept talking to the hygienist, telling her everything he knew. She kept having to remind him to breathe through his nose, and every so often, she'd put her hand below his chin and close it for a few minutes. Then, she'd move it and he'd start talking right away. But she just sat beside him and listened to everything he had to say and would ask him questions about what he was telling her. I think the nitrous started making him a little "silly". He started telling her, "You see this cut on my finger, there is a mouse that lives in there." Then, he told her, "I go to Brian, he checks my ears and nose. And he gets the bees out of my ears." And he kept saying, "I'm funny, huh?" Her and the other hygienist were getting a kick out of him. After they had numbed him, he kept feeling his lip, and they had told him his lip and mouth were going to go to sleep for a little while. And of course, he quickly responded, "But not me, I don't have to take a nap." Then, he started talking about his feet going to sleep. Not sure where that came from!!--While they worked on him, the dentist was really great and he and the hygienists were good to tell Hayden everything that they were doing and telling him what a good job he was doing. Once they got started, it only took them about 15 minutes. He just sat there, and he even ended up falling asleep. I'm just glad that everything went good, although his mouth is really sore today from where he chewed on his cheek. Now we just have 2 more to go.

1 comment:

Justin and Diana said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad that it went good! BTW the feet falling asleep comes from the nitrous! I am so relieved that he hasn't been traumatized! Next time should be easy!